Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hamburger Gravy Over Mashed Potatoes

So I had a whole month's worth of meals planned out. 
Then, in typical Gabi fashion, I lost it a few days ago. ;)
Luckily I found it today. 
 Tonight I made hamburger gravy over potatoes. Yum!
I think I made this once or twice  few years ago. I couldn't remember exactly how to make it, and didn't have a recipe written anywhere. 
I just kind of had to wing it. 
I had a little helper who needed his own spoon. He actually does a good job.
First off, I browned my ground venison. Now, my husband has told me many times that when you use venison, it needs to be seasoned well.
I added some garlic powder, minced onion, salt, pepper, and some basil for the fun of it. 
I only had unsweetened coconut milk, sweetened almond, and vanilla almond milk. So, my choice of milk was obvious. {I used the coconut milk.} - add about a cup, maybe another 1/2 if it looks like it needs it.
I mixed a good amount, about 1 1/2 tablespoons, of rice flour in about 2 tablespoons of warm/hot water, and stirred it into my mixture. 
It was brought to a boil, and simmered for about 5 minutes, until it thickened.
Serve over mashed potatoes. 
Depending on how you prepare your mashed potatoes, this could be dairy-free. 

This was my 2-year old's bowl. He didn't finish it, by the way. My 11-month old ate more than this. :P
This is a great "cheap" meal. I didn't have to buy anything for this meal. Everything was on hand. I love those kinds of meals. It tasted great, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment