Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

{Yummy} Dairy-free Egg-free Chocolate Cake!

This cake is so good!
 It's called Wacky Cake or Depression Cake. 
It is so easy! And it's from scratch!
Wacky, I know.
First, set your oven to 350. 
Next, you're supposed to grease an 8x8, but I never do. 
Then, you mix all the dry ingredients right in the pan!! So cool that there's no extra dishes!
Dry ingredients: 1 1/2 cup flour
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
After you stir it all together it should look like that picture. ^^
Then make three indentations in your mixture. Two small and one big. I like to make a face out of them because I'm easily amused. Today I made a grumpy face. 
Fill one small dent with vinegar and one with vanilla. The bigger one is supposed to be vegetable oil, but I don't ever have vegetable oil, so I use olive oil. {I thought it was cool how they all started with "v".} See? It doesn't take much to amuse me. 
Then pour one cup of water over the top and stir. 
I don't know if you actually have to make the dents and do it all exact, but that's the was I learned, and I've always done it that way. 
Anyways, stir until it's pretty consistent. Like cake batter. 
Stick it in the oven for 35 minutes.
 
This is what should come out! Yum!
Allow to cool and frost with your favorite frosting. 
If I'm feeling adventurous tonight I'll post the frosting recipe I use. 
It is pretty ridiculous tasting.
~
I made this a lot during the summer because I was nursing R and he can't have dairy. I made it at least 3 times a week. So, I had it memorized.
One time I accidentally put 3 tablespoons of baking soda instead of cocoa. I realized it right away and tried to scoop as much out as I could. I thought I did a pretty good job. I continued on with my cake. 
After it cooled, my husband and I each took a bit at the same time, and boy! It burned your mouth. 
I'm pretty sure I spit mine out.
Not just because it tasted bad. 
But my husband is quite dramatic. So, he made me laugh. 
Let's just say that's not the first time chocolate has come out my nose...

Anyways... all that to say, well.. not sure why I said that... 
Enjoy your cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment